Monday, March 31, 2014

Deepest Darkest Secret

I have a love/hate relationship with confession. Yes, that's right CONFESSION!  There is something
about saying out loud your sins, mishaps, mistakes, and regrets it just stings.

I know there are many people in my life that don't understand the beauty of confession and I am not here to convince you here otherwise, but solely want to give you a viewpoint how it is to go to confession in the 21st century.  Its not like the old black and white movies where you go to a dark box and you hear a scary voice of a man and he tells you "That's it? Are you sure?"

For myself, when I do something wrong, I am have guilt written all over my forehead. I dislike myself for saying/doing whatever mistake I just did. I dwell on it and after I while I feel the need to say it out loud and seek advice on whatever mistake I did. Let's play the game, would you rather seek advice to someone who also makes mistakes like you or would you rather seek advice to someone who is representative Christ? I am not saying seeking advice from friends is not good because I do it all the time, but sometimes you need to get down to business.

Reasons why I go:

1: Ever heard of humility?
I do this daily as I am far from getting a VIP pass to heaven, but I am trying my best. I am a complete wreck mentally, its not a joy ride, but I stress out about the mere thought of telling my sins out loud to God (the funny thing is He already knows them, so whats the big deal) It is a humbling experience each time. Saying my sins out loud is a wake up that I have some changing to do if I want to get back in the game.

2: White as snow
Remember when you were an child/adult and you were baptized in the white gown symbolizing purity. I heard once that when we sin, we dirty our white gown. Let's be honest by the time I get enough courage to go my gown has holes, dirt and stains. Going to confession you are able to bleach that gown of yours! The best part is, confession is there for you as often as you would like it thus you can get bleached as often a you! You will feel all so fresh and so clean.

3: You will lose ten pounds
Okay, not really, but a weight has been lifted off your shoulder, you can now smile with a true genuine smile. Your sins have been forgiven! Believe it or not, but when someone tells you "I forgive you," thats powerful stuff right there.  A priest is not just there to listen and give penance, but to help us live a better and fuller life so seek that advice that you need.

So why confession, I want to get to heaven and I believe the best way to get there is to be the best person God created you to be; so why not enter with a humble heart, white as snow, and a few extra pounds off your shoulder.

(If you are still wondering why I believe in actually confession instead of just talking to God in prayer, ask and I will try to explain as best as I can)



No comments: